Tuesday 4 November 2014

This Hobonichi Journalling Thing!

I have been following people like MissVickyBee and Hoodlums on YouTube for a while now and have been really enjoying watching their monthly Hobonichi flip through videos. I have been really inspired by their videos and I have been deliberating for some time now as to whether or not to bite the bullet and get one myself. When my MIL asked me what I wanted for Christmas I decided to do some more serious research into it. Whilst I could justify the price of the book and cover, I couldn't justify doubling that price for the customs charges! To me paying over £60 in total for what is essentially a note book just seemed insane, even if I wasn't paying for it.

I also couldn't get my head around what it was about the Hobonichi that interested me so! Was it the book itself with the grid paper or was it the style of journalling. Either of these I knew could be replicated in a 'faux' book so that is what I did!


I actually bought the book myself from Amazon with a gift card that I had. The book was £9 with free shipping and is the Paperchase brand. The paper is lovely and I am using water colour to colour in my doodles and the paper just takes it really well, although you can water colour on most paper as long as you don't get it too wet!


I am really enjoying just spending five or ten minutes each evening whilst watching telly, making little doodles to represent my day and a few words to go with them. I love this style of journalling and I am loving the book that I am doing it in too. Who knows I may one day spend the mega £ to get the real thing but for now I am happy with my little start into the Hobonichi style of journalling.


Do you Hobonichi or are interested in starting one? I would love to know your thoughts on it too!



10 comments:

  1. What a good idea! And your artwork is adorable! I bought an A4 sized square grid notepad from Daiso over the weekend and plan to start doodling too. I used to enjoy art classes as a kid but after more than 20 years of not touching an art book, I feel so rusty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, fell in love with the Hobonichi, and just had to have one, except my love started in July, and I couldn't even get a hold of one until the 2015s came out anyway! I've been using a Moleskine with grid paper as a daily journal in that style since the middle of August, and its fantastic. I did end up convincing my mom to get me one for Christmas, though, and it has already shown up. Its tiny!! But I like that it will have the whole year in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just couldn't justify the price with all the customs charges!

      Delete
  3. Just had mine arrive! I bought the A5 Cousin size, which fits perfectly in my Filofax A5 Flex cover so no need to buy a cover from Hobonichi. I was lucky, there was no customs charge added on but I have heard it can be quite high. Lovely paper, so many planning options with the month to view pages, week to view, and day per page. I can now do all my planning and journaling in one book that can go on the shelf to look back in the future. I am using my Filofax now for my lists, day to day tasks etc - all the ephemera I don't need to keep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a flex and mine doesn't fit, I think it is too chunky!

      Delete
  4. Hi Anna,
    I am planning to buy a hobonichi in december. It would be my first branded planner.
    I liked hobonichi for three reasons
    1. Its non-leather and its paper is pretty thin still it absorbs all kinds of pen inks.
    2. It won't cost me more than 4000 INR which would come around 38 GBP including a rose poudre cover, a cover on cover and shipping to India. On the other hand Filofaxes and other brands would cost way too much and then getting it shipped would burn my entire pocket.
    3. For a beginner planner enthusiast I guess investing in a planner like hobonichi is a non-guilty indulgence because it would be like a notebook you could never really exhaust and the cover can be used on something else :P
    But for you its very expensive to buy a hobonichi and anyway you live where filofaxes are made so its only reasonable to invest in them.
    I am a new follower of your blog but I love watching your videos -planner related and mixed media art related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you my love and welcome along. Yes you are very right, the price is just crazy and I would definitely buy it if I could get it for the same as you x

      Delete
  5. I love Journaling :) I like how you just write how you feel and what you did on the day. Doesn't matter how you write it because its personal just for you :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. absolutely, a journal is and should always be personal to you x

      Delete