Wednesday 30 May 2018

Art as self care

Art journaling for me is an act of self care.  I've been crazy busy in May with work (as a lecturer in a university, May is exam month so lots of marking and student support) plus I've had some complicated family stuff going on.  All that has taken it's toll and art has taken a back seat and I feel it.  I've spent a morning working on a couple of art projects and immediately felt lighter.  Look after yourself, make time for you.

Here's what I've been working on:


This is a page I made with some of Anna's collage sheets- I love how vibrant they are.  This is a page in a collaboration journal - I'm working with a couple of friends and we've each chosen an artist who we can be inspired by.  This one is inspired by Laura Horn, the collage sheets were perfect for this because the paper I've printed them on is light so great for posting through the mail.

Next up I have created a journal for myself using an old book.


I've gutted it's pages and added my own mixed media paper.  Becaise this journal is called 'The Mermaid' s Purse I thought one of Anna's collage sheets was perfect to line my book.  It totally made me think of magical seas and mermaids.


I'm looking forward to working in it over the next few weeks and am confident that I'll be inspired by this beautiful work each time I open it.

Don't forget to check out Anna's Patreon which includes all of Anna's beautiful collage sheets including these gorgeous pages as well as art tutorials. You can find more of my art here, on my blog, or on Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment