Tuesday 5 February 2013

Drawing faces practice

In nearly all my girl pieces the girls usually have no face or a face made up of just cartoon like eyes and pink cheeks. There are a couple of reasons for this. Firstly I quite like the cute kitsch feel of this. I have always drawn cartoony faces and I like the happy non complex feel of them. I also think that as soon as you give them a face you also give them a personality and you don't always want that. Sometimes you want the words you have added or the piece as a whole to do the talking not the personality of the girl. Does that make sense? I hope it does because it does to me! Oh and finally....because I pretty much suck at drawing faces. Simple as.

I hate it when people say "oh I can't draw". What rubbish! Anyone can draw you just have to either be taught or teach yourself and of course practice. If you want to do something you can with a little determination and practice.

Anyway just lately I have wanted to expand my creativity and the scope of what I am creating so I decided to get the sketch book out and my lovely set of Daler Rowley drawing pencils and have a go.

So this first one is just of a mouth and nose. I didn't feel ready to tackle the eyes just yet. But as far as faces go I was quite happy with this one.



And then onto the faces with eyes! My first attempt is utter pants and totally scary!



Ok so moving on... another one, this time I decided to add a bit of colour by using some chalk pastels.



And here is my final one for now. Getting better. Still a lot of work needed. I don't actually want my drawings to be life like but just a pretty and "stylised" face. Once that is pleasing to the eye and not something from a horror film!



So keep practicing is what I say and I will update you on my progress.






No comments:

Post a Comment