Tuesday 20 February 2018

Grey Scale Animal Watercolour Bullet Journal Page


Yay, Hello February, finally the January blues are gone and we can all look forward to the rest of the year. This month I have been watching a lot of Anna Brim's (Mrs Brimbles) patreon videos on creating watercolour animal paintings using watercolour. You can join in here on Anna's patreon page.



My first attempt at painting a watercolour animal

Anna painted a stunning grey scale giraffe, so hesitantly I decided to give it a go. I honestly never thought I would be able to paint an animal, but finally I have mastered controlling the watercolour and brush to get the effect and shading I wanted.

I didn't pencil draw the giraffe first, I just did a loose outline in a light grey wash and then started filling in the facial features first before moving on to the body patterns. Finally I added a touch a black pen to define the outline of the pattern and it was one... first attempt! I know I was gobsmacked too!


I didn't really know what to do with the finished giraffe, so eventually decided to cut it out and use it in my bullet journal. It's perfect for my Hello February page and now that I was on a roll with being able to control the watercolour I even attempted a touch of hand lettering using the watercolour brush. I have tried brush lettering before with brush pens and I really can't do it. I found it much easier using a water brush dipped in to paint. Not a bad attempt for my first try.




To finish the page I added a few leaves using a green posca pen and a fitting quote 'Rise Above' and a bullet journal list of aims for the month. I am so happy with the overall page. I can't wait to see what else I can paint. There's no stopping me now!






Visit my blog: kerrymaymakes.com

Follow me on  social media:

​Instagram  |  You Tube  |  Pinterest ​
Art Journaling FB Group


No comments:

Post a Comment