Monday 28 April 2014

Book Review - The Memory Box by Margaret Forster

This week I have been reading The Memory Box by Margaret Forster.

The synopsis from the most recently published edition (not the one that I have - the one I have eludes to it being far more mysterious!)...

Catherine's mother died when Catherine was just a baby girl, leaving nothing but her perfect reputation to live up to. Or so she thought. But then Catherine finds a box addressed to her, filled with objects seemingly without meaning - three feathers, an exotic seashell, a painting, a mirror, two prints, an address book, a map, a hat, a rucksack and a necklace.

And while she's busy playing detective trying to find out who her mother was, she finds out more about herself than she ever really wanted to know. Secrets are discovered, truths uncovered, and Catherine realises that maybe there was something more to her mother, something that her familiy has kept from her.

How long a shadow can a dead woman cast?


I really wizzed through the book as it was so gripping, I just couldn't wait to find out what this dark secret was that Catherine (The main character in the book) was to find out about her deceased mother through unravelling the secrets of the items left to her in the memory box. I was hooked I just had to know! I was expecting it to be something truly amazing like she was a spy or something but I got to the end and was like, oh is that it? She was just a normal woman who did things in her teens that were a bit risque big deal!

Oh well! It was a gripping read one that I enjoyed, I was just a bit disappointed by the ending.



Have you read this book? I would love to know what you think of it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment