Monday 20 October 2014

Book Review - On Her Own Two Feet

On Her Own Two Feet
Author: Pam Evans
ISBN: 978-0755394333
Publisher: Headline (23 Oct 2014)

From the back:

Bringing the Keep Fit movement vividly to life in 1940s' London, Pam Evans' family saga will inspire and enthral anyone who has ever dared to dream of a better life. In the middle of a party to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of King George V in 1935, Mollie Fisher's good-for-nothing husband walks out on his wife and baby girl. Luckily, Mollie has a loving family to turn to for help. Mollie's mother, Marge, is delighted to look after baby Esme while Mollie goes out to work. Meanwhile, her nan, Nora, encourages Mollie to join a local keep fit class, which opens her eyes to a whole new world. Determined to better herself, Mollie qualifies as a fitness instructor and starts to run her own classes for the local community, where she befriends a group of women she would never have known existed. But with the outbreak of the Second World War and the ever-present danger of losing her loved ones in the London bombings, it takes courage for Mollie to stand on her own two feet...

My review:

This isn't the type of book that I would normally pick up. If you follow any of my reviews that I am predominantly a vampire / witch type of book reader so anything with a pastel cover would typically not interest me at all! I saw this book on the bookbridgr website and decided to read the synopsis. I made a little pact with myself earlier this year to try different books that I would normally pass by and this is one of those books that I am glad that I didn't.

This book was beautifully written but then that is not really a surprise as Pam Evans is an established published author.  It was a quick and easy read but a pleasurable anddelightful read. I often feel that there is a gap in my education where the war years are concerned as I always find out something new when I read a book based at this time. Obviously I am aware that fiction is mixed with fact but it gave me a real sense of what living in 1940s London must have been like for the women trying to work and raise a family.

I found the keep fit side really very interesting. I had no idea how or when keep fit classes started so that was really fun to read.

You really are plunged into Mollie's world and her family life. You can't help but feel instantly warmed to her and her entire family and it really is beautiful the way they all pull together even in the hardest times to help each other out. From the moment I started reading I was really routing for Mollie and I so wanted everything to turn out well for her. Of course it does because she is not the sort of person to sit around feeling sorry for herself, instead she appreciates everything that is around her, picks herself up and just gets on with life the best way that she possibly can. It shows us that no matter what has or is going on around you, it is how you deal with that situation that determines what sort of person you are. You can either be a victim or a survivor and Mollie chose the later!

There was a very slight continuity error almost at the end of the book which didn't really hinder the reading pleasure.

Again, not a book that I would normally pick up but I feel the better for having read it. A delightful, easy read and dare I say it a fairy tale with Mollie really getting the happy ever after that she deserves.





2 comments:

  1. Going to add this to my "wishlist" on my kindle. Sounds like a book I would love xx

    zoea2812.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do you read paperbacks? If so I can send it to you x

      Delete