Monday 9 June 2014

The Man Who Rained - Book Review


I read The Girl With the Glass Feet by Ali Shaw a few years ago now and ever since I have wanted to read The Man Who Rained. It is one of those books that has been on my wishlist for a while now and then recently I got to purchasing it and reading it. I am so glad that I did I can tell you!

The Girl with the Glass Feet and The Man Who Rained are both similar and different. They are both a new take on the concept of fairy tale, in fact they are fairy tales for adults but with a slight macarbe feel to them. They are darker than the average fairy tale, so I would say they are more grey than black if you know what I mean. Dark enough to be mysterious and intriguing but not too dark to be scary and frightening. I know really hard to convey, you will just have to read it to know the true extent of what I mean!

This book can only be described as Enchanting. Yes that is it enchanting. OK folks that is my review. No only kidding. Yes it was very enchanting, and dare I say seductive as well. Not in a "bowm chicka wow wow" kind of way but in a way that it wants to draw you in. I can only described his writing as more poetic as the way he describes each detail seduces you, it draws you further in to the story. I have to say that I was so caught up on the enchantment of the way the book was written than the actual story line which was OK. I don't have all that much to say on the story itself. The story itself was fairly good, a little predicatable but that didn't distract me. I think this is one of those books that I will need to read again to fully appreciate the story.

It is all fairy tale but the way the author describes the chatacters it could be the bloked living opposite!

I do reccommend this book, it was an enjoyable read :)

Have you read this book? If you have let me know what you think I would love to know!


No comments:

Post a Comment