Tuesday 16 December 2014

Why I am sticking with a Faux rather than real Hobonichi

As you know (because I have mentioned it a lot of late) I am using a faux version, my own made up version of the hobonichi journal / planner. Prior to purchasing the fauxbonichi which is actually just a grided notebook from Paperchase, I deliberated quite a bit as to whether to splurdge on the real deal or just go faux. The price of the hobonichi is what has put me off, ok so not the price but the fact that you have to double that because of the import tax duties. Eeeeek! If it wasn't for that then I probably would have just bought the real deal.

So fauxbonichi I went with and fauxbonichi I am going to stay. Why?




I actually really like this notebook. I like the feel of it, the floppiness, the chunkiness, the paper quality and the fact that it is gridded paper. All in all it is just a really lovely book to work with.

Having looked at the flip videos I have seen of the real thing, I wouldn't be using it as a planner as I love my ring based planners too much. I like to be able to take things out and move them around which you can't do with a bound book. The hobonichi comes with both monthly pages as well as weekly and daily. I just don't know what I would do with the monthly and the weekly spreads so that would be a total waste for me.

On the daily pages they are already pre dated. Whilst at the moment I am journalling everyday, if I miss a day it is no big deal because the page isn't dated. Maybe it is my OCD but I don't like the idea of having a blank page if I miss a day. I missed a day recently and went back to it but it was really hard trying to remember what I did on that day. I know I could probably just use the page for random drawing as such but I have other journals for that.

Also on the daily pages there is a strip at the top of the page for all the date information and then a strip at the bottom for (not sure what), some is in Japense and I think it is a monthly calendar block. To me this is wasted paper, I want to have the option of using that space for journalling. There may be times when I can't fill a page but it is nice to know that I can if I want to!

So there we go, those are my reasons for staying faux. I would however most likely buy a cover. One day. If I have the pennies. I am not in a rush to buy the actual book. Of course I may change my tune if I ever do get to have the real thing because all of this opinion and the like is based on me having seen other peoples versus my faux.

What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment